Attractions close to York House and Aldersmore
York House and Aldersmore home offers easy access to a wide range of attractions in and around Holland-on-Sea for people with learning disabilities joining us for a holiday or respite break.
- The Busby Club in Holland-on Sea, a disco held every Tuesday night for individuals to socialise and meet new people.
- Clacton Pier offers six-and-a-half acres of fun and entertainment, including under cover and outside fairground, amusements, side stalls, cafés and takeaways and the Seaquarium.
- The Martello Children’s Zoo at Clacton has a range of child-friendly animals from trained miniature pigs to friendly goats.
- Clacton offers a range of other attractions, including seafront gardens, miles of sandy beaches, a busy shopping centre two theatres and the annual Clacton Carnival and Clacton Airshow.
- The historic maritime town of Harwich, where attractions include Harwich Maritime Museum, the circular, 200-year-old Harwich Redoubt Fort, the Electric Palace Cinema, one of the oldest purpose-built cinemas in Britain, and more than 200 listed buildings.
- Colchester, Britain’s oldest recorded town, offers attractions like Colchester Castle Museum (closed for refurbishment until spring 2014), the Art Exchange gallery, Gosbecks Archaeological Park and the on-site museum, jam shop and tea room at Wilkin & Sons, Tiptree, as well as a wide choice of places to shop and eat.
- East Mersea is home to Cudmore Grove Country Park, which has a long sandy beach adjoining a large area of cliff top, grassland and marshes, ideal for walks and picnics.
- Jaywick Martelllo Tower at Jaywick dates from the 19th century and now acts as a venue for exhibitions, talks and events.
- Clacton-on-Sea’s West Cliff Theatre and Arts Centre is a 600-seat seaside theatre used all year for a whole range of entertainment, including a traditional summer season variety show.
- 18th century Naze Tower at Walton-on-the-Naze is an 86ft tall octagonal tower and the only building of its type and era in the country. Visitors can climb 111 stairs to an open rooftop viewing platform to see stunning views.
- Holland Haven Country Park, on the coast between Clacton and Frinton-on-Sea, offers more than 100 acres of unspoilt scenic coastline.
Other attractions can be found here.
For more information on Eleanor Care Homes and holidays for people with learning disabilities, please contact us.