A man has suffered a life-changing stroke after having his hair washed at a local salon, a report has revealed.
Doctors have referred to the phenomenon as a case of “beauty parlour syndrome”, which can occur when the neck is over-extended.
Over-extension of the neck can damage arteries, which can lead to a clot and then a stroke, the report says.
Dave Tyler, 45, said that two days after he visited the salon in Brighton, he started experiencing headaches and collapsed during a business meeting.
He spent three months in hospital before learning to walk again with a stick, but he still can’t drive and is often in pain.
He told BBC Radio 5 live that he didn’t feel any discomfort at the time his hair was being washed, but warned that hairdressers “should be aware that something like this is possible”.
Alexis Wieroniey, of the Stroke Association, said a stroke could be caused if the lining of an artery in the neck was torn.
If the carotid artery, which goes directly into the brain, is dissected or damaged, then blood clots can form over time and cause a stroke.
“There is a very small chance that an injury might be caused by extending your neck back in a chair to have your hair washed, but no definitive link has been established between hair washing and strokes,” she said.